You currently viewing the 2021 - 2022 Academic Catalog/Student Handbook. The current catalog is located here.


Student Services

The mission of Student Services is to encourage students to learn, grow and achieve success in a supportive academic environment. The Student Services mission is accomplished by providing a variety of services in accordance with the Forsyth Technical Community College mission. Student Services staff members coordinate these services in cooperation with all other divisions on campus. Services for students include recruitment, placement testing, accommodations for students with disabilities, admission, orientation, registration, counseling and career services, information and referral services, student records, career guidance, drug and alcohol awareness education, academic advising and student activities.

General Information

Forsyth Tech is an equal opportunity institution and operates under an open-door admissions policy. The College is open to anyone 18 years of age or older and high school graduates 16 years of age or older. Admission to the College does not guarantee acceptance to the program of your choice or guarantee continued enrollment in the College. Forsyth Tech offers programs of study leading to a degree, diploma or certificate in areas of business, health, general education and engineering technologies. In addition, the College offers the associate in arts, associate in engineering, associate in fine arts, and associate in science college transfer degrees.


The admissions process requires the following:

  • Application – As part of the application process, individuals will need to complete the Residency Determination Service (RDS). Applicants are encouraged to complete the process as early as possible.
  • Official high school transcript or GED/HiSET/TASC scores

International high school transcripts must be translated by an accredited agency to verify their equivalency to a US high school diploma. Translators should be certified by the American Translators Association. For a complete list of members, visit or the local chapter, Carolina Association of Translators and Interpreters at

  • Official transcripts from all colleges or schools attended since high school

International college transcripts must be evaluated from a NACES agency or AACRAO

Placement testing may also be required.

Effective June 1, 2021, a high school transcript is no longer required prior to admission into the college. Please Note: Official transcripts from all colleges or schools attended since high school and/or other testing documentation may be required to meet prerequisites and other requirements when registering for courses.

[10:26 AM] Devin Purgason
Effective June 1, 2021, a high school transcript is no longer required prior to admission into the college. Please Note: Official transcripts from all colleges or schools attended since high school and/or other testing documentation may be required to meet prerequisites and other requirements when registering for courses.

Other documents may also be required to participate in clinical or practical training courses in certain programs such as:

  • Health examinations
  • Reference forms, when requested
  • Specific licensure
  • CPR for health programs
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal immigration status may be required to be eligible for certain licensure exams.

Applicants that do not attend classes for the semester they applied will be required to update their application if they wish to attend a subsequent semester.

All official documents become the property of the College and cannot be returned or reissued.

Admission to the College does not imply immediate admission to the program desired by the applicant. Placement in certain programs is limited, and admission to a specific program of study is based on guidelines developed to ensure the student’s chance of success in the program and the availability of space.

The applicant should submit a completed application to the Admissions & Records Office for the semester he/she plans to enroll. Although potential students may apply at any time prior to the beginning of the semester, the applicant is encouraged to complete the admissions process as early as possible. This allows adequate time for processing and satisfying admissions requirements for the programs of study. Access our website to complete the online application and for detailed information about instructional programs. You may also visit the Admissions & Records Office located in the Robert L. Strickland Center, Room 2631, 2nd floor.

Counselors and advisors use the applicant’s educational achievements and placement test results to assess his/her potential for success in specific instructional programs. If evaluations of the applicant’s high school GPA or test scores indicate his/her lack of readiness to enter a specific course, the applicant may be required to enroll in a transitional education course.  

Forsyth Tech reserves the right to refuse admission to any student whose enrollment or continued presence is considered a risk for campus safety or disruption of the educational process.

Admissions & Records Office
Forsyth Technical Community College
2100 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, N.C. 27103-5197

The online application is available at

Please read the Economic & Workforce Development section of this catalog to learn about admissions requirements for non-credit programs.

Transcripts/Credit Assessment

The Admissions & Records Office requires an official transcript from a high school, an adult high school diploma program, a High School Equivalency (GED)/HiSET/TASC program, or a college or university that is regionally accredited through an accrediting agency approved by Forsyth Tech for admission to the college.

Questions regarding the accreditation of online high schools may be directed to the director of Admissions & Records. Applicants who have earned the GED certificate in North Carolina are requested to have a transcript certifying high school equivalency/scores sent to the Admissions Office.  Below is the contact information for GEDs earned in NC.

Create an account with to have your high school equivalency scores sent to us regardless of the year you earned it.

Students who have completed a bachelor’s or associate’s degree may substitute their official college transcript showing the graduation date in place of their high school transcript for certain programs. Students desiring transfer credit must request official transcripts from post-secondary institutions they have attended before credit can be evaluated.

Initial placement into math and English courses is based on high school unweighted GPA or advanced degrees or college level transfer credit per the NCCCS RISE criteria. Prior placement test scores may be evaluated by the admissions staff. Information on the placement test is available at the Testing Center located in room 133, 1st Floor, Allman Center, Main Campus or by calling 336.734.7324.

Test results, which are valid for ten years, are used in helping students assess their skill levels and achievements in relation to their interests and desires. This information provides a basis for placing students in appropriate courses. Please refer to the college website for additional information regarding placement testing.

Admissions Requirements for Home School

The home school administrator must show and provide proof that the home school is certified by the North Carolina Department of Non-Public Instruction. This means that the administrator must have a school approval number (if available), a charter for the school or anything that denotes approval from the North Carolina Department of Non-Public Instruction and provide copies of this information with the application.

The home school administrator must provide an official home school transcript. If the home school administrator and/or the student does not have the proper certification, the student cannot be admitted to a curriculum program at Forsyth Tech. If the student is over 18, they can enroll as a special credit student only.  If the student wishes to enroll in a curriculum program, he/she must obtain a general education development (GED)/HiSET/TASC or adult high school (AHS) diploma from Forsyth Tech’s Corporate & Continuing Education program before being eligible to be admitted.

Admissions Requirements for Programs

The basic requirement for admission to any program is a high school diploma or its equivalent. College coursework submitted by an official transcript and/or degrees earned can also meet the admission requirement. Applicants who are not high school graduates may arrange to complete their high school requirements through the Economic and Workforce Development program [general education development (GED), HiSET or adult high school (AHS)].

Some programs have selective enrollment, and prospective students are encouraged to apply early. Most of these selective enrollment programs have application pools for the program. Students in the application pools are encouraged to begin taking the general education courses required in the program prior to admission to the specific program.

Health Programs

Health programs use a selective admissions process. Students in health credit programs who are assigned to clinical settings will have additional fees for uniforms, liability insurance, parking and other requirements. Students who are not admitted and want to be considered for a different health program must complete an update form available in the Admissions Office. Students meeting minimum requirements are assessed on a rating scale that ranks previous course grades in related courses and completion of other health-profession training programs. Highest ranking students will be admitted. Students not admitted must re-apply to be considered for the next acceptance class. Students applying to certain Health Programs are required to take the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills).

Admission to a health technologies program does NOT guarantee eligibility for licensure or certification. For example, the North Carolina Board of Nursing has regulations that identify reasons for prohibiting licensure for associate degree nursing and practical nursing graduates. The reasons are referred to the department chairperson.

All students in nuclear medicine technology, radiography and radiation therapy technology come under the radiation exposure regulations of the state and federal government (radiation safety hazard regulation). Any student who receives exposure in excess of permissible limits as defined by the regulations will be advised of the possible harmful effects and may be dropped from the program. Regulations pertaining to students below the age of 18 are more stringent than those for the older student and applicants are encouraged to contact the department chair for additional information.

Transfer Credit

Applicants who have attended other regionally accredited post-secondary institutions may transfer credits in courses comparable in content, objective, quality and credit hours to those offered at Forsyth Tech. In addition, all veterans or active duty military can receive physical education credit upon receipt of the necessary documentation. When the granting of transfer credit is in question, the student may be asked for additional documentation such as a course description or course syllabus.

For accepted students, Forsyth Tech evaluates transfer credit for equivalent courses with the grade of C or better from member institutions of the North Carolina Community College System and other post-secondary institutions accredited by a regional accrediting association. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis will be considered only after receiving (in writing) the requirements necessary to receive a passing grade. In this situation the registrar and the academic dean, in consultation with the department chairperson, will make a recommendation to the vice president of Instructional Services. The vice president of Instructional Services will then make the final decision on the transfer of credit for questionable courses.

International students who have attended a college or university outside the United States must have their transcripts translated and evaluated by a NACES member ( or AACRAO ( before Forsyth Tech will review them for possible transfer credit.

Credits transferred from other schools will be reflected on students’ transcripts as hours earned and will not be used in the computation of grade point averages. A grade of TR will be given to show that the course was transferred from another college. Transfer credit will be used for graduation purposes. The transfer grade will not be used to calculate GPA. Transfer credit will only be granted if required for current program or the student previously attempted at Forsyth Tech and was not successful. In order to receive transfer credit from another school, students must earn a grade of ‘C’ or better.  

Transfer credit can be used toward graduation requirements for a course that was not successfully completed at Forsyth Tech; however, the failing grade earned at Forsyth Tech will be used to calculate the final program grade point average (GPA). Students must have at least a 2.0 when failing, the grade(s) are averaged into the program grade point average.

Many courses with technical or skill content have time limitations on the acceptance of transfer credit. This includes credits earned at Forsyth Tech, as well as at other institutions. The department chairperson responsible for the program of study determines the specific time limitations. Inquiries concerning transfer credits granted must be made to Records Office during the student’s first semester of enrollment. If a student disagrees with the transfer credit granted, he/she should meet with the Records Office Staff. After consulting with the division dean, the Records Office Staff will notify the student of the final decision on transfer credit to be granted.

Changing Program of Study

A currently enrolled student (or student who has been out for fewer than two terms) pursuing a program of study may change programs by filing a Change of Program Form in the Admissions & Records Office, unless the desired program is one with specific admissions requirements (such as health technology programs or BLET). Students who have been out for two or more terms (not including summer), must complete a new application. Students who receive financial aid or benefits for veterans must check with the Financial Aid Office before changing their program of study.


Students who have withdrawn in good academic standing and who have not been enrolled for two or more semesters must submit a new application. If the application for re-admission is for a different program, standard admissions requirements for new students will apply.

There are specific additional guidelines for re-entry into a health program. These guidelines may be obtained from the Health Technologies Division.

Former students who re-apply for admission may be asked to supply the Admissions & Records Office with transcripts and test scores. Students who have been suspended for disciplinary reasons or health/safety reasons cannot be re-admitted without submitting a request for readmission to the vice president of Student Services. The request for re-admission is subject to review by the division dean.

Military Service Members are readmitted with the same academic status obtained when last attending the college or accepted for admission to the college. This also applies to students who could not attend college due to military service.

Special Credit Students

Students interested in taking only a limited number of courses may enroll as special credit students. Special credit students are permitted to register for some credit courses without having to be admitted as a degree seeking student, provided that prerequisites have been met and such registration does not preempt students enrolled in a degree, diploma or certificate program. Some credit courses will not be available to special credit students without prior instructional division approval.

For admission to Forsyth Tech, a special credit student must complete an application for admission. An applicant, at least 18 years old, who did not graduate from high school, earn a GED/HiSET/TASC, or an Adult High School diploma may take courses as a special credit student provided they meet course prerequisites. Special credit students may be asked to take the placement test or furnish at least unofficial transcripts in order to meet course prerequisite requirements. Please note: currently enrolled high school students (regardless of age) are not eligible for special credit status and must contact Educational Partnerships if wishing to enroll in curriculum courses while still in high school.

While there are no limitations on the number of credit hours a special credit student may earn, students earning 12 or more credit hours will be advised to seek admission into a program. Currently enrolled special credit students who decide to complete a program of study at Forsyth Tech should apply for admission by completing an update form in the Admissions & Records Office. Special credit students cannot be admitted to a degree program unless the required documentation was submitted to the Admissions & Records Office during the time the student seeks acceptance. They must meet current admissions requirements and, if approved, will be accepted under the program of study in effect for the program at the time of acceptance. Satisfactory completion of courses as a special credit student does not automatically guarantee admission to a program.

Generally, students are approved for special credit status in the following circumstances:

  • The student wishes to take some relevant credit courses prior to making a decision about applying for a specific program. Students may wish to choose this route in order to reduce their course load once in the program and thereby improve chances for success.
  • The student wishes to take specific courses but does not plan to pursue and complete a program of study at Forsyth Tech.
  • The student graduated from their current program but did not complete an application to continue at Forsyth Tech.

All policies, rules and the code of conduct apply to special credit students. Special credit students are not eligible for any form of financial aid through Forsyth Tech.

International Students

Forsyth Tech is authorized to issue an I-20 to students who meet the International Student admissions requirements, and who are applying to study in the U.S. under a F-1 student visa.

Procedures for Enrollment

Students must submit the following:

  1. Forsyth Tech International (F-1) application for admission
  2. $40 processing fee (check or money order made payable to Forsyth Tech)
  3. Statement of Financial Responsibility form and supporting documentation.
  4. Proof of English proficiency
    1. TOEFL score of at least 500 (paper), 173 (computer based) or 61 (Internet based)
    2. IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
    3. Successful coursework in English at a high school or institution of major learning in the U.S.
    4. Completion of an intensive ESL language program such as Interlink
  5. Evaluated transcripts from a NACES agency or AACRAO
  6. Student responsibility form

Deferred Action Childhood Arrival (DACA) Students

Current NCCCS policy allows DACA applicants to enroll at Forsyth Tech at the out-of-state tuition cost.  However, acceptance to the college does not guarantee acceptance to a specific program.

Undocumented Immigrants

The North Carolina Administrative Code provides that community colleges shall admit an undocumented immigrant only if he or she attended and graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home school that operates in compliance with State or local law or have received a diploma from an Adult High School that is located in the United States and operates or operated in compliance with State or local law.  Online high school diplomas and GED’s are not acceptable for admission.  Undocumented students are charged the out-of-state tuition rate and are not eligible for Financial Aid.  Undocumented students are also not eligible for Allied Health or Nursing programs.

High School to Community College Articulated Courses

Forsyth Technical Community College and the local high schools have entered into the North Carolina High-School-to-Community College Articulation Agreement. This agreement allows students to outline specific high school programs of study that will grant them advanced standing credit when they enroll in a community college upon high school graduation.

The North Carolina High-School-to-Community College Articulation Agreement allows students in high school to take academic and career technical courses that will exempt them from certain required courses at the community college level. Forsyth Tech has outlined many programs of study in degree and diploma areas for which students can receive advanced standing credit. If the prerequisites are met, the student is exempted from the placement test in that subject area.

Students are strongly encouraged to articulate high school courses for advanced standing. Students should work with their high school counselor to register and select the correct sequence of courses in grades 9, 10, 11 and 12. The final high school transcript must indicate successful completion of the correct sequence of courses with a grade of B or better and appropriate test scores. Students need to self-identify and submit the Articulated Credit Agreement Form at the time they submit their Forsyth Tech application, in order to request transcript review for credit to be granted as it relates to their program of study. Courses must be in the students’ program of study for advanced standing to be considered.

List is subject to change as curriculum programs are updated at the state level.

The test scores are still 93 or with a grade of B or better, please use scores vs vocats scores

High School to Community College Articulation Agreement (2017) 

High School Program Area 

High School Course Number & Title 

Community College Course Number & Title 


Agricultural Education

AS32 Agricultural Mechanics II

WLD-112 Basic Welding Processes OR
AGR-111 Basic Farm Maintenance

Agricultural Education

AA22 Animal Science II

ANS-110 Animal Science

Agricultural Education

AP41 Horticulture I

HOR-150 Intro to Horticulture

Agricultural Education

AP44 Horticulture II - Landscaping

HOR-114 Landscaping Construction OR
LSG-111 Basic Landscaping Technique

Business and Information Technology Education

BA10 Accounting I

ACC-115 College Accounting OR
ACC-118 Accounting Fundamentals I

Business and Information Technology Education

BA20 Accounting II

ACC-115 College Accounting OR
ACC-118 Accounting Fundamentals I OR
ACC-119 Accounting Fundamentals II

Business and Information Technology Education

BP12 Computer Programming II

CSC-153 C# Programming

Business and Information Technology Education

BM10 Microsoft Word and Power Point

CIS-111 Basic PC Literacy OR
CIS-124 DTP Graphics Software OR
OST-136 Word Processing

Business and Information Technology Education

BM10 Microsoft Word and Power Point AND
BM20 Microsoft Excel and Access

OST-137 Office Software Applications

Business and Information Technology Education

BM20 Microsoft Excel and Access

CTS-130 Spreadsheet

Business and Information Technology Education

BD10 Multimedia and Webpage Design

WEB-110 Internet/Web Fundamentals OR
WEB-120 Intro Internet Multimedia

Business and Information Technology Education

BN20 Network Administration I

CTI-115 Computer Systems Foundation OR
CTI-120 Network and Security Foundation OR
NET-110 Networking Concepts OR
NOS-110 Operating System Concepts OR
SEC-110 Security Concepts

Business and Information Technology Education

BN22 Network Administration II

CTS-112 Windows OR
(NET-110 Networking Concepts AND
NOS-230 Windows Admin I)

Business and Information Technology Education

BF05 Personal Finance

BUS-125 Personal Finance

Family and Consumer Science Education

FE11 Early Childhood Education I AND
FE12 Early Childhood Education II

EDU-119 Intro to Early Childhood Education

Family and Consumer Science Education

FN41 Foods I AND
FN42 Foods II - Enterprise

CUL-112 Nutrition for Food Service

Family and Consumer Science Education

(FN42 Foods II Enterprise OR
FH20 Introduction to Culinary Arts & Hospitality) AND
ServSafe certification

CUL-110 Sanitation & Safety AND
CUL-110A Sanitation & Safety Lab

Family and Consumer Science Education

FN43 Foods II - Technology

CUL-150 Food Science AND
CUL-150A Food Science Lab

Family and Consumer Science Education

FI53 Interior Applications

DES-235 Products

Health Science Education

HU40 Health Science I

MED-121 Medical Terminology I AND
MED-122 Medical Terminology II

Health Science Education

HU42 Health Science II

HSC-110 Orientation to Health Careers AND
MED-180 CPR Certification)

Health Science Education

HN43 Nursing Fundamentals

NAS-101 Nursing Assistant I

Health Science Education

HH32 Pharmacy Technician

PHM-110 Introduction to Pharmacy

Marketing Education

ME11 Entrepreneurship I

ETR-210 Intro to Entrepreneurship

Marketing Education

MM51 Marketing

ETR-230 Entrepreneur Marketing OR
MKT-110 Principles of Fashion OR
MKT-120 Principles of Marketing

Technology Engineering and Design Education

TE21 Principles of Technology I

PHY-121 Applied Physics

Technology Engineering and Design Education

TE22 Principles of Technology II

EGR-115 Intro to Technology OR
PHY-131 Physics - Mechanics

Technology Engineering and Design Education

TP11 PLTW Introduction to Engineering Design AND
TP12 PLTW Principles of Engineering AND
TP23 PLTW Civil Engineering and Architecture

ARC-111 Intro to Arch Technology OR
DDF-211 Design Process I

Technology Engineering and Design Education

TE11 Technology Engineering and Design AND
TE12 Technology Design AND
TE13 Engineering Design

EGR-110 Intro to Engineering Technology AND
(CEG-115 Intro to Technology and Sustainability OR
EGR-115 Intro to Technology OR
DDF-211 Design Process I )

Trade and Industrial Education

IC00 Core and Sustainable Construction

WOL-110 Basic Construction Skills

Trade and Industrial Education

IT16 Automotive Service I AND
IT17 Automotive Service II AND
IT18 Automotive Service III

TRN-111 Chassis Maint/Light Repair AND
TRN-112 Powertrain Maint/Light Repair AND
AUT-113 Automotive Servicing I

Must complete MLR Task List

Trade and Industrial Education

IM21 Cabinetmaking I AND
IM22 Cabinetmaking II

CAB-111 Cabinetmaking I

Trade and Industrial Education

IC00 Core and Sustainable Construction AND
IC21 Carpentry I

CAR-110 Intro to Carpentry OR
WOL-110 Basic Construction Skills OR
CST-110 Intro to Construction

Trade and Industrial Education

IC22 Carpentry II

CST-111 Construction I

Trade and Industrial Education

IC23 Carpentry III

CST-112 Construction II

Must receive credit for CST-111 before receiving credit for CST-112

Trade and Industrial Education

II21 Computer Engineering Technology I

CTS-120 Hardware/Software Support

Trade and Industrial Education

II22 Computer Engineering Technology II

CTS-220 Adv Hard/Software Support

Must receive credit for CTS-120 before receiving credit for CTS-220

Trade and Industrial Education

IA31 Digital Media

DME-110 Intro to Digital Media

Trade and Industrial Education

IA32 Advanced Digital Media

DME-115 Graphic Design Tools OR
DME-120 Intro to Multimedia Appl.

Trade and Industrial Education

IC61 Drafting I

DFT-111 Technical Drafting I AND
DFT-111A Technical Drafting I Lab

Trade and Industrial Education

IC61 Drafting I AND
IC62 Drafting II - Architectural

DFT-115 Architectural Drafting OR
DFT-119 Basic CAD OR
ARC-114 Architectural CAD

Trade and Industrial Education

IC61 Drafting I AND
IV22 Drafting II - Engineering


Trade and Industrial Education

IV23 Drafting III - Engineering

DFT-112 Technical Drafting II AND
DFT-112A Technical Drafting II Lab

Must receive credit for DFT-111 before receiving credit for DFT-112

Trade and Industrial Education

IC00 Core and Sustainable Construction AND
IC41 Electrical Trades I AND
IC42 Electrical Trades II

ELC-113 Residential Wiring

Trade and Industrial Education

IC43 Electrical Trades III

ELC-122 Advanced Residential Wiring

Trade and Industrial Education

IM31 Electronics I AND
IM32 Electronics II

ELC-112 DC/AC Electricity AND
(ELC-126 Electrical Computations OR
EGR-131 Intro to Electronics Tech)

Trade and Industrial Education

IM34 Electronics IV

ELN-131 Analog Electronics I

Trade and Industrial Education

IC00 Core and Sustainable Construction AND
IC11 Masonry I AND
IC12 Masonry II

MAS-110 Masonry I

Trade and Industrial Education

IC13 Masonry III

MAS-110 Masonry I

Trade and Industrial Education

IM41 Metals Manufacturing Technology I AND
IM42 Metals Manufacturing Technology II

BPR-111 Blueprint Reading AND
MAC-111 Machining Technology I AND
MAC-151 Machining Calculations

Trade and Industrial Education

II11 Network Engineering Technology I

NET-125 Networking Basics OR
NET-110 Networking Concepts

Trade and Industrial Education

II12 Network Engineering Technology II

NET-125 Networking Basics OR
NET-126 Routing Basics

Trade and Industrial Education

IM61 Welding Technology I

WLD-110 Cutting Processes

Trade and Industrial Education

IM61 Welding Technology I AND
IM62 Welding Technology II

WLD-110 Cutting Processes AND
WLD-115 SMAW (Stick) Plate

International Baccalaureate Program

Secondary students enrolled in International Baccalaureate Courses (IB) may receive college credit upon completion of the higher level courses and receipt of the necessary score 5, 6 or 7. Test results and transcript need to be submitted to the Admissions Office for evaluation.

Career and College Promise

Junior and senior high school students may enroll in curriculum math, science, and vocational/technical credit classes with tuition waived. Students are responsible for fees, and may be responsible for supplies and textbooks. Students are considered Career and College Promise students.

To qualify for Career and College Promise Enrollment, students must meet Forsyth Tech admissions procedures and prerequisites for courses. Students may receive both high school honors credit and college credit for completed coursework. All course grades apply towards graduation from a program at Forsyth Tech. Courses in the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Associate in Engineering college transfer degree programs are transferable to all UNC public institutions and many private and out of state institutions. Junior and Senior high school students may also enroll in Career Technical Education Pathways that lead to a diploma or certificate. Students must meet high school graduation requirements before they can receive degrees, diplomas, or certificates. If classes are taught through Corporate and Continuing Education, the student must pay tuition. Continuing Education classes do not earn curriculum college credit.

Procedures for Enrollment 

Students must submit the following:

  1. Forsyth Tech CCP Application for Admission (only on first enrollment)
  2. Parental Consent/Counselor Permission Form (required each semester)
  3. Transcript from High School
  4. Standardized Test Scores
  5. If a student is home-schooled, a copy of the North Carolina Home School Registration from the North Carolina Office of Non-Public Instruction is required and birth certificate, driver’s license or permit.

The Application Packet including an original application (submitted online through CFNC), official high school transcript, standardized test scores, Parental Consent/Counselor Permission Form, and other supporting documents for Career and College Promise students; should be sent for review and admission to the office of Educational Partnerships. Advising and selection of courses is conducted at the designated time each semester. Course prerequisites and all admission’s procedures must be met for dual enrollment admission to occur.

Early College of Forsyth

An innovative high school program for motivated students.

Early College of Forsyth is a joint program of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School System and Forsyth Technical Community College. Students will have the opportunity to complete the requirements for a North Carolina high school diploma and earn college credits that would lead to completion of an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Engineering, or Associate in Fine Arts degree in a rigorous learning community. Instead of attending a traditional high school, students will take all the high school and college courses on the main campus of Forsyth Tech. Limited transportation will be provided to students. Tuition is waived for all college courses.

The program is designed to allow students to complete all of their high school requirements and complete the two-year Associate Degree in four years. The Associate Degrees can transfer to any of the UNC public institutions.

Interested students must submit an application and supporting materials, and will be chosen on the basis of academic and other criteria. Students interested in applying must:

Demonstrate grade-level proficiency on End of Course (EOC) and End of Grade (EOG) tests. Take the College Placement Test and demonstrate readiness for college-level work. Submit school attendance and discipline history. Complete an application with a writing sample and submit an academic transcript. Submit two recommendations, one from a school counselor and one from a core teacher. All applicants will be interviewed by early College staff and students. Applicants will be reviewed to determine ability to succeed in college-level coursework.

Easy Reference List for Admission:

  1. Early College Application
  2. Writing Sample
  3. Transcript grades 6, 7, and 8
  4. Attendance Profile
  5. Discipline Profile
  6. Standardized Test and EOG Test scores, percentile and level submitted on Counselor Required Recommendation Form.
  7. College Placement Test Scores
  8. Recommendations

Students should submit their application to the Early College of Forsyth main office, located on the Main Campus of Forsyth Technical Community College, Ardmore Hall, 2nd floor.

Forsyth Middle College

The Forsyth Middle College (FMC) is a magnet high school located on the campus of Forsyth Technical Community College. The program is designed for juniors and seniors with a focus on individualized educational choices and taking college courses through Forsyth Tech’s enrollment program.

FMC offers students a later start time, with high school classes from 11:00am to 3:30pm on a block schedule. College courses are offered at different times in the morning, afternoons, evenings, and online. FMC students can take college courses tuition-waived and may earn up to a year or more of transferable college credit. In addition, FMC students have a great deal of flexibility with class offerings and course of study.

To be considered for admission to Forsyth Middle College (FMC), a student must:

  • be at least 15 years old
  • have at least 10 high school credits
  • have successfully completed English I &  II, Algebra I & Geometry/ Math I & Math II, Biology, PE I & II, and Life Skills
  • a minimum 2.5 GPA
  • self-motivated to earn high school diploma
  • no discipline issues

Students must complete an application and a 50-word essay explaining why they want to be admitted to Middle College. Students must also send a copy of the most recent high school transcript. Selected applicants and parents are invited for an interview and must take the college placement test (CPT) or provide SAT/ACT scores for consideration.

Middle College admits students in August and January of each school year and has an enrollment of 100. For more information, contact the Middle College’s office at 336-734-7437 or the school counselor at 336-734-7163.

Middle College is an innovative cooperative high school and a collaborative project of Winston Salem/ Forsyth County Schools and Forsyth Technical Community College.

Stokes County Early College High School

Stokes County Early College (SCECHS) is a joint program of the Stokes County School System and Forsyth Technical Community College. The academic design of the school is rigorous with the expectation that students will earn both a high school diploma and either an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science degree, or an Associate in Engineering degree, in four or five years.

Admission to SECHS requires students to submit an application, provide academic records, attendance records, discipline records, standardized test scores, three recommendations, participate in an interview and take the college placement test. Students can begin applying to SECHS during the second semester of their eighth-grade year. SECHS seeks diversity, first generation college students, and at-risk students.

Applications are available each year through the Stokes County Middle Schools, the Early College, and on the SECHS website. For additional information please call 336-593-5402.

North Carolina Residency Status

Under North Carolina law, each person must be classified as a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes. North Carolina law (General Statute 116-143.1) requires that to qualify as an in-state student for tuition purposes, a person must have established legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina and maintained that legal residence for at least 12 months immediately prior to enrollment to be considered for classification as a North Carolina resident.

Beginning in March 2017, all residency will be determined through a centralized state Residency Determination Service (RDS).  Forsyth Tech will no longer determine residency for applicants or students.  Applicants or students may contact RDS at or by calling (844) 319-3640. Contact information on RDS may also be obtained in the Admissions & Records Office (2nd Floor), Robert L. Strickland Center, Main Campus.