Forsyth Tech is an equal-opportunity institution and operates under an open-door admissions policy. Curriculum courses are open to anyone 18 years of age or older, high school graduates 16 years of age or older, and eligible Career and College Promise high school students. 

Forsyth Tech offers curriculum programs of study leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate in areas of business, health, general education, and engineering technologies. In addition, the College offers associate in arts, associate in engineering, associate in fine arts, and associate in science college transfer degrees. 

Admission to the College does not guarantee acceptance to the program of your choice or guarantee continued enrollment in the College. Placement in certain programs is limited, and admission to a specific program of study is based on guidelines developed to ensure the student’s chance of success in the program and the availability of space. 

Forsyth Tech reserves the right to refuse admission to any student whose enrollment or continued presence is considered a risk to campus safety or disruption of the educational process. 


The online application is available at

Applicants should submit a completed application for the semester they plan to enroll. As part of the application process, individuals will need to complete the NC Residency Determination Service (RDS) first.

Prospective students are encouraged to complete the admissions process as early as possible. This will allow adequate time for processing and satisfying admissions requirements for the programs of study. Prospective students may apply at any time before the beginning of the semester.

Submitting Transcripts

Transcripts and other official documents can be submitted using the contact information below:

Admissions and Records Office
Forsyth Technical Community College
2100 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, N.C. 27103-5197


All official documents become the property of the College and cannot be returned or reissued.

Effective June 1, 2021, a high school transcript is no longer required prior to admission into the college. An official transcript from a high school, an adult high school diploma program, a High School Equivalency (GED)/HiSET/TASC program, or an institutionally accredited college or university may be required for transfer credit or to meet prerequisites and/or other requirements when registering for courses.

Students who have completed a bachelor’s or associate’s degree may substitute their official college transcript showing the graduation date instead of their high school transcript for certain programs.

International Transcripts

International high school transcripts must be translated by an accredited agency to verify their equivalency to a US high school diploma.

Translators should be certified by the American Translators Association. For a complete list of members, visit or the local chapter, Carolina Association of Translators and Interpreters at

International college transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES member ( or AACRAO (

Home School Transcripts

Home school graduates should submit proof of home school certification and an official home school transcript with their application.

  • Submit proof that the home school is certified by the North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education (NCDNPE) or the state of origin if the home school is outside of North Carolina  
    • Proof of the school approval number (if available)
    • A charter for the home school, OR
    • Anything that denotes approval from the North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education or the state of origin.
  • Submit an official home school transcript. To be considered official, the home school transcript must be sent to the college by the home school administration and include all the following student information
    • Student’s graduation date
    • List of completed courses, AND
    • Final unweighted GPA.

If the home school does not have NCDNPE or other state certification, the student must wait until they reach the age of 18 to apply to the college.

Transfer Credit

Forsyth Tech evaluates courses completed with a grade of C or better at institutionally accredited colleges/universities as recognized by the US Department of Education ( Courses considered for transfer credit must be comparable in content, objective, quality, and credit hours to those offered within the North Carolina Community College System Combined Course Library. Students may be asked to provide additional documentation of the course content, such as a course description or course syllabus, before transfer credit is awarded.

Transfer credit is only awarded if required for the student’s current program of study. A student may request a reevaluation of transfer credit when they change their program of study by emailing

Credits transferred from other institutions are reflected on students’ transcripts as hours earned and are not used in the computation of grade point averages.

  • A grade of TR is given to show that the course was transferred from another college.
  • The transfer grade (TR) is not used to calculate GPA. 
  • Transfer credit can be used for graduation purposes.
  • Transfer credit can be used toward graduation requirements for a course that was not successfully completed at Forsyth Tech; however, the failing grade earned at Forsyth Tech will be used to calculate the final program grade point average (GPA).

The following considerations apply when evaluating potential transfer credits:

  • Transfer credit graded as P or S will be accepted if the awarding institution provides verification the grade is equivalent to a grade of “C” (2.0 GPA) or better.
  • Military Transfer Credits: Veterans or active-duty military can receive credit upon receipt of an official Joint Services Transcript and the necessary documentation.
  • International Transfer Credits: Students who have attended a higher education institution outside the United States must have their transcripts translated and evaluated by a NACES member ( or AACRAO ( before Forsyth Tech will review them for possible transfer credit.
  •  Time-Limited Transfer Credits: The college has a 10-year limit for accepting credit for some courses. The dean of the academic division, in consultation with the appropriate program faculty, will determine if courses taken more than 10 years ago can be used in the student’s current program of study. Students appealing to the dean for credit will need to provide relevant documentation demonstrating proficiency in the course learning objectives, such as proof of a related non-expired industry certification earned within the 10-year limit. Currently, the 10-year credit limit applies to courses that transfer under the following Forsyth Tech course prefixes: CCT, CIS, CSC, CTI, CTS, DBA, NET, NOS, SEC, and WEB.

Inquiries should be made to the Admissions and Records Office regarding transfer credits granted. Students who disagree with the transfer credit granted should contact the Admissions and Records Office at After consulting with the academic dean, the Admissions and Records Office will notify the student of the final decision on the transfer credit to be granted.

Other Requirements

Some courses or programs may require placement tests or entrance exams.

Applicants can submit scores from the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), the American College Test (ACT), Accuplacer, NC-DAP, or the current college placement assessment.

Other placement test scores may be evaluated by the Admissions and Records staff.

Information on the placement test is available at the Testing Center located in room 133, 1st Floor, Allman Center, Main Campus or by calling 336.734.7324.

Other documents may be required to participate in clinical or practical training courses in certain programs such as:

  • Health examinations
  • Reference forms, when requested
  • Specific licensure
  • CPR for health programs
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal immigration status may be required to be eligible for certain licensure exams.


Students who have withdrawn in good academic standing and who have not been enrolled for two or more terms must submit a new application. If the application for re-admission is for a different program, standard admissions requirements for new students will apply.

There are specific additional guidelines for re-entry into a health program. These guidelines may be obtained from the Health Sciences Division.

Students who have been suspended for disciplinary reasons or health/safety reasons cannot be re-admitted without submitting a request for readmission from a designated member of executive leadership. The request for re-admission is subject to review by the division dean.

Changing Program of Study

A currently enrolled student (or student who has not enrolled for fewer than two terms) pursuing a program of study may change programs by filing a Student Change Form.

Students who have not been enrolled for two or more terms (not including summer) must complete a new application.

All students are encouraged to speak to their academic advisor before changing their program to ensure their program aligns with their career goals and review how the change will impact time to completion. Students who receive financial aid or benefits for veterans must check with the Financial Aid Office before changing their program of study.

Career and College Promise

Junior and senior high school students may enroll in curriculum math, science, and vocational/technical credit classes with tuition waived. Students are responsible for fees and may be responsible for supplies and textbooks. Students are considered Career and College Promise students.

To qualify for Career and College Promise Enrollment, students must meet Forsyth Tech admissions procedures and prerequisites for courses. Students may receive both high school honors credit and college credit for completed coursework. All course grades apply towards graduation from a program at Forsyth Tech. Courses in the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Associate in Engineering college transfer degree programs are transferable to all UNC public institutions and many private and out-of-state institutions. Junior and Senior high school students may also enroll in Career Technical Education Pathways that lead to a diploma or certificate. Students must meet high school graduation requirements before they can receive degrees, diplomas, or certificates. If classes are taught through Corporate and Continuing Education, the student must pay tuition. Continuing Education classes do not earn curriculum college credit.

Procedures for Enrollment

Students must submit the following:

  • Forsyth Tech Application for Admission (only on first enrollment)
  • Parental Consent/Counselor Permission Form (required each semester)
  • Transcript from High School
  • Standardized Test Scores
  • If a student is home-schooled, a copy of the North Carolina Home School Registration from the North Carolina Office of Non-Public Instruction is required and birth certificate, driver’s license, or permit.

The Application Packet including an original application, official high school transcript, standardized test scores, Parental Consent/Counselor Permission Form, and other supporting documents for Career and College Promise students; should be sent for review and admission to the Office of Educational Partnerships. Advising and selection of courses is conducted at the designated time each semester. Course prerequisites and all admission procedures must be met for dual enrollment admission to occur.

Early College of Forsyth

An innovative high school program for motivated students.

Early College of Forsyth is a joint program of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School System and Forsyth Technical Community College. Students will have the opportunity to complete the requirements for a North Carolina high school diploma and earn college credits that would lead to the completion of an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Engineering, or Associate in Fine Arts degree in a rigorous learning community. Instead of attending a traditional high school, students will take all the high school and college courses on the main campus of Forsyth Tech. Limited transportation will be provided to students. Tuition is waived for all college courses.

The program is designed to allow students to complete all of their high school requirements and complete the two-year Associate Degree in four years. The Associate Degrees can transfer to any of the UNC public institutions.

Interested students must submit an application and supporting materials, and will be chosen based on academic and other criteria. Students interested in applying must:

Demonstrate grade-level proficiency on End of Course (EOC) and End of Grade (EOG) tests. Take the College Placement Test and demonstrate readiness for college-level work. Submit school attendance and discipline history. Complete an application with a writing sample and submit an academic transcript. Submit two recommendations, one from a school counselor and one from a core teacher. All applicants will be interviewed by early College staff and students. Applicants will be reviewed to determine their ability to succeed in college-level coursework.

Easy Reference List for Admission:

  • Early College Application
  • Writing Sample
  • Transcript grades 6, 7, and 8
  • Attendance Profile
  • Discipline Profile
  • Standardized Test and EOG Test scores, percentile and level submitted on Counselor Required Recommendation Form.
  • College Placement Test Scores
  • Recommendations

Students should submit their application to the Early College of Forsyth main office, located on the Main Campus of Forsyth Technical Community College, Ardmore Hall, 2nd floor.

Forsyth Middle College

The Forsyth Middle College (FMC) is a magnet high school located on the campus of Forsyth Technical Community College. The program is designed for juniors and seniors with a focus on individualized educational choices and taking college courses through Forsyth Tech’s enrollment program.

FMC offers students a later start time, with high school classes from 11:00am to 3:30pm on a block schedule. College courses are offered at different times in the morning, afternoons, evenings, and online. FMC students can take college courses tuition-waived and may earn up to a year or more of transferable college credit. In addition, FMC students have a great deal of flexibility with class offerings and courses of study.

To be considered for admission to Forsyth Middle College (FMC), a student must:

  • Be at least 15 years old
  • Have at least 10 high school credits
  • Have successfully completed English I &  II, Algebra I & Geometry/ Math I & Math II, Biology, PE I & II, and Life Skills
  • A minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Self-motivated to earn a high school diploma
  • No discipline issues

Students must complete an application and a 50-word essay explaining why they want to be admitted to Middle College. Students must also send a copy of their most recent high school transcript. Selected applicants and parents are invited for an interview and must take the college placement test (CPT) or provide SAT/ACT scores for consideration.

Middle College admits students in August and January of each school year and has an enrollment of 100. For more information, contact the Middle College’s office at 336-734-7437 or the school counselor at 336-734-7163.

Middle College is an innovative cooperative high school and a collaborative project of Winston Salem/ Forsyth County Schools and Forsyth Technical Community College.

Stokes County Early College High School

Stokes County Early College (SCECHS) is a joint program of the Stokes County School System and Forsyth Technical Community College. The academic design of the school is rigorous with the expectation that students will earn both a high school diploma and either an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science degree, or an Associate in Engineering degree, in four or five years.

Admission to SECHS requires students to submit an application, provide academic records, attendance records, discipline records, standardized test scores, three recommendations, participate in an interview, and take the college placement test. Students can begin applying to SECHS during the second semester of their eighth-grade year. SECHS seeks diversity, first-generation college students, and at-risk students.

Applications are available each year through the Stokes County Middle Schools, the Early College, and on the SECHS website. For additional information please call 336-593-5402.

Deferred Action Childhood Arrival (DACA) Students

Current NCCCS policy allows DACA applicants to enroll at Forsyth Tech at the out-of-state tuition cost.  However, acceptance to the college does not guarantee acceptance to a specific program.

Health Sciences Programs

Health programs use a selective admissions process. The Health Sciences admissions webpage offers specific admissions requirements for health science programs. Students meeting minimum requirements are assessed on a rating scale that ranks previous course grades in related courses and completion of other health-profession training programs. The highest-ranking students will be admitted. Students not admitted must re-apply to be considered for the next acceptance class. Students applying to certain Health Programs are required to take the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills).

Admission to a health sciences program does NOT guarantee eligibility for licensure or certification. For example, the North Carolina Board of Nursing has regulations that identify reasons for prohibiting licensure for associate degree nursing and practical nursing graduates. The reasons are referred to the department chairperson. Students in health sciences programs who are assigned to clinical settings will have additional fees for uniforms, liability insurance, parking, and other requirements.

All students in nuclear medicine technology, radiography, and radiation therapy technology come under the radiation exposure regulations of the state and federal governments (radiation safety hazard regulation). Any student who receives exposure in excess of permissible limits as defined by the regulations will be advised of the possible harmful effects and may be dropped from the program. Regulations for students under 18 are more stringent than those for students older than 18 years old, and applicants are encouraged to contact the department chair for additional information.

High School to Community College Articulated Courses

Forsyth Technical Community College and the local high schools have entered into the North Carolina High School to Community College Articulation Agreement. This agreement allows students to outline specific high school programs of study that will grant them advanced standing credit when they enroll in a community college upon high school graduation.

The North Carolina High School to Community College Articulation Agreement allows students in high school to take academic and career technical courses that will exempt them from certain required courses at the community college level. Forsyth Tech has outlined many programs of study in degree and diploma areas for which students can receive advanced standing credit. If the prerequisites are met, the student is exempted from the placement test in that subject area.

Students are strongly encouraged to articulate high school courses for advanced standing. Students should work with their high school counselor to register and select the correct sequence of courses in grades 9, 10, 11, and 12. The final high school transcript must indicate successful completion of the correct sequence of courses with a grade of B or better and appropriate test scores. Students need to self-identify and submit the Articulated Credit Agreement Form at the time they submit their Forsyth Tech application, to request a transcript review for credit to be granted as it relates to their program of study. Courses must be in the student’s program of study for advanced standing to be considered.

The list is subject to change as curriculum programs are updated at the state level.

The test scores are still 93 or with a grade of B or better, please use scores vs vocats scores

International Baccalaureate Program

Secondary students enrolled in International Baccalaureate Courses (IB) may receive college credit upon completion of the higher level courses and receipt of the necessary score of 5, 6 or 7. Test results and transcripts need to be submitted to the Admissions Office for evaluation.

International Students

Forsyth Tech is authorized to issue an I-20 to students who meet the International Student admissions requirements, and who are applying to study in the U.S. under a F-1 student visa.

Applicants intending to apply for an F-1 Visa should follow the application and enrollment steps for international students.

This includes transfer-in students currently on active F-1 status and other visa holders in the United States wishing to change their status to F-1.

North Carolina Residency Status

Under North Carolina law, each person must be classified as a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes. North Carolina law (General Statute 116-143.1) requires that to qualify as an in-state student for tuition purposes, a person must have established legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina and maintained that legal residence for at least 12 months immediately before enrollment to be considered for classification as a North Carolina resident.

Beginning in March 2017, all residency will be determined through a centralized state Residency Determination Service (RDS).  Forsyth Tech will no longer determine residency for applicants or students.  Applicants or students may contact RDS at or by calling (844) 319-3640. Contact information on RDS may also be obtained in the Admissions or Records Office (2nd Floor), Robert L. Strickland Center, Main Campus.

Special Credit Students

Students interested in taking specific courses but do not plan to pursue and complete a program of study at Forsyth Tech can enroll as special credit students. Some credit courses will not be available to special credit students without prior instructional division approval.

Special credit students

  • Must complete an application to the college
  • Are not eligible for any form of financial aid through Forsyth Tech.
  • Are subject to all college policies, rules, and the student code of conduct
  • Must provide documentation that they have met course pre- or co-requisite
  • Are permitted to register for some credit provided such registration does not preempt students enrolled in a degree, diploma, or certificate program.

Note: currently enrolled high school students (regardless of age) are not eligible for special credit status and must contact Educational Partnerships if wishing to enroll in curriculum courses while still in high school.

While there are no limitations on the number of credit hours a special credit student may earn, students earning 12 or more credit hours will be advised to seek admission into a program.

Currently enrolled special credit students who decide to complete a program of study at Forsyth Tech should complete a Student Change Form. Special credit students must meet current admissions requirements and, if approved, will be accepted under the program of study in effect for the program at the time of acceptance. Satisfactory completion of courses as a special credit student does not automatically guarantee admission to a program.

Undocumented Immigrants

State Board of Community Colleges rule (1D SBCCC 400.2(b), outlines the admission policy for undocumented immigrants. To be eligible for admission, the individual must be a graduate of a U.S. public high school (including Adult High School), private high school, or home school that operates in compliance with state or local law. Online high school diplomas and GEDs are not acceptable.

Undocumented students are charged the out-of-state tuition rate and are not eligible for Financial Aid.  Undocumented students are also not eligible for admission to Allied Health or Nursing programs.